Thursday, November 22, 2007

Protecting SGI from media distortion

My letter to Forbes that published a misleading article about the SGI. Forbes printed my concerns in its next issue of the magazine:

To

The Editor
Forbes magazine

60 Fifth Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10011

Subject: The article titled " Sensei's World" by Benjamin Fulford and David Whelanin in the 'International' section of September 6, 2004 issue

Dear Editor

As a business professor, I encourage hundreds of students each year to read Forbes magazine for it can be trusted. This article casts a serious doubt on the magazine's longstanding integrity. As an active member of the Soka Gakkai, I have seen substantial transparency within the organization and in my assessment its transactions are legal, accountable and morally sound. Soka Gakkai has a unique stance on Buddhism and an equally committed non-sectarian pursuit to benefit larger society comes from its religious philosophy.

I often have contributed financially to the development of the Soka University of America (SUA) from my modest income. What attracts me to SUA is a small student teacher ratio, its humanistic ideals, and an environment for students to develop a broad global and yet a humane perspective. Like other admittedly small-scale philanthropists, I get satisfaction in contributing from afar for a good cause.

On Daisaku Ikeda, I trust the inclusive tone in his writings and the assessment of world leaders like Linus Pauling. Arnold Toynbee and scores of other renowned philosophers from around the world who acknowledge Ikeda's efforts for peace, culture and education. Also, please visit the SGI website for more evidence and information at www.sgi.org .

Sincerely

Harsh Mishra

Assistant Professor
Strategic Management and International Business
School of Business
State University of New York
New Paltz, New York

No comments: